Total Pageviews

Friday, December 30, 2016

A rant.......

OK. I normally don't like to get political anymore but I am irritated.  So, I had seen a post by a woman in late teens/early twenties on the Build-A-Bear site on Facebook asking why they have a ton of Star Wars male character bears/outfits but only one Princess Leia costume.  They don't have a Princess Leia bear. (Just so you know, I shop for Star Wars plush on there.). Basically, she is saying Build-A-Bear is sexist because of that. This young thing doesn't know what true sexism is nor does she understand what sexism is.  This is the fault of feminists who cry foul for everything.  This young woman doesn't understand the time period which she is talking about because it is before her time. I told her she was way off base with her line of thinking.  I told her when the original series came out, Princess Leia wasn't playing a typical female role. She was strong.  Girls didn't have a lot of characters like that back in the day. We had Princess Leia and Wonder Woman. 
      This girl probably wasn't told she couldn't do anything her heart desired or said she couldn't do something because she is a girl. I can bet the farm on that one that she probably hasn't experienced that.  I remember one boy in my neighborhood when I was 4 years old telling me I couldn't carry a plastic army gun because I was a girl.  That made me want to prove to him and the world he was wrong and that I could do anything I wanted.  I want to thank that kid because he motivated me to be a go-getter, not to fold up in a ball and cry about it.
      I know I shouldn't let this misguided young woman get the best of me but I am tired of these girls crying sexism for this and that.  Women and girls today can be whatever they want barring any health issues. They can do a lot more things than women in the past could and don't just have to be barefoot and pregnant anymore. I think we need to educate these young ones on how far we've come as a gender and maybe they would be grateful for all the opportunities they now have. 
     I was a feminist when I was younger but I didn't hate men. I just wanted to be taken seriously. I remember watching "9 To 5" as a kid and was motivated to be taken seriously. That was all I wanted was an opportunity to do what I wanted and now times have allowed me to do that. I just have to get past my health issues. 
     I stopped being a feminist when I saw the direction they were heading.  Those women went from seeking equality in education, jobs, etc to men hating ball-busters.  That is not a good direction. To me, if the feminists want to fight for injustice, they should focus on countries with which women are treated as objects.  I think that would be a better direction than what they are heading.
     Does that mean there isn't sexism? No, it is still around but not like it was in the past. I don't want these feminists to ruin what us women now have. We should be happy with where we are and not hate men.  Men are mostly good people and women need men.  Men need women and women need men to survive. We may not need them to provide a lifestyle anymore but we still need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment